They discover (because we tell them) that they've come home, to Crossroads. A celebration must ensue!
They take us to their main city, PrinceTown, which +Ken H lovingly rendered in full detail. The primary city is under a large metal dome - defensible and artistic. It is smooth, with no visible seams or joins. It looks like one piece of steel. Each door can be seen opening and closing, but the doors themselves are quite thick, and seem to open themselves, automatically.
We had a party, and the mayor gave a speech. The Hobgoblins came, stole their friends, and these heroes, (for a healthy price), rescued them, yea ha! Bless this food, this gathering, and these heroes, etc. Amen.
+Daniel McEntee arrives. We tell him we're at a Gnome feast. He asks if we're on the menu. We say no, and continue.
We gain some knowledge about the map of the Gnome's territories, a large land, and note that we came through Benn's house. The map shows Benn's House to Princetown, and that was about 94 squares. Um. Rough guess about 30 miles, making the extent of the Gnome lands about 10 miles by 6 miles. Making it larger than Rhode Island (kidding. Mostly.)
In any case, we gain knowledge abut the Dwarven Exploration, and the Gnomish History.
Summary of Dwarven Exploration Notes
The dwarven engineers, builders and miners associated with the Elementalist Monastery left their exploration notes with the gnomes. Here is the summary:
- The elementalist monastery is 5 levels deep.
- There have been at least two previous settlements of dwarves:
- There are remnants of a dwarven city that lie below the fifth level of the elementalist monastery. There is no records of this in written dwarven history and the elves simply say that the dwarves were stupid to mine and build in such a cursed area.
- There was a later influx of dwarves. They avoided the ruins of the dwarvish city and mined extensively throughout the area. They were a large but disorganized group, which many of them eventually ending up quite deep in the earth. They were able to mine significant amounts of gold and silver, but it was a dangerous place. The smart few left and most of the rest died. There is some belief that dwarves continued to migrate deeper and they are still down there somewhere.
Summary of the Gnome Chronicles
The gnomes wrote a chronicle of their escape from the elementalist civil war. This is a summary:
- The human monks in the elementalist monastery fell apart into three factions. One faction had grown rich by stealing from the dwarven miners. Some within this faction fell into the practice of demon worship. A second group was enticed by the powerful magic left behind by the outsiders who had once inhabited this area. They used this power to bend the universe in unwholesome ways. They also became cannibals. A third group wanted to remain faithful to the elementalists’ beliefs and practices. They were quickly wiped out, despite the capable leadership of Cassius.
- The dwarves and gnomes fought alongside Cassius. They were able to drive the demon worshippers off, chasing them to the dwarves’ ancient gold mining area many miles to the east of the monastery.
- The victory had weakened Cassius’ group. He released the gnomes and dwarves to flee for safety. Despite overwhelming odds, Cassius and his group was almost successful in their attack against the cannibal faction. The cannibals had progressed quickly in their knowledge of alien magic and with this magic they defeated Cassius and his followers.
- The gnomes fled through the ant colony to their garden area and then down. The dwarves helped them flee, but the dwarves were hunted down and eaten. The gnomes who were captured were sacrificed in a secret magic ritual known only to the cannibals.
- The gnomes descended deep into the earth until they found a large cave filled with a forest of mushrooms. They carved a small farming community at the western end of the forest.
- Sometime later, a group of stone giants, who also followed in the elementalist way, settled in the remaining portion of the forest. They and the gnomes developed an understanding that was to their mutual benefit.
The mayor notices that Duncan the Gnome has a hat that gives him a royal countenance. He doffs his hat and bows, revealing the crown of the gnomish king! General amazement ensues, and the gnomes ask if Duncan has returned to be king.
The mayor leans in, and offers 10 gold bars as a reward for returning the gnomes, but he'll personally double it if we leave and not come back.
"Oh, well, we didn't have enemies until you guys showed up."
"That you knew of. Your people were getting eaten."
"We have strong allies in the Stone Giants. We give them food, they give us stoneware."
"But they were eating your people."
"We had no enemies until you guys showed up."
I start to wonder if we're going to have a re-run of "how many five-year-olds can you beat up?" Do you know how mayors and other politicians react when you threaten to take their power away?
There are wood golems and guys in armor around too. The conversation starts to get heated, pointed, and Luven starts sizing up the opposition. There are about 25 gnomes in armor, in groups of 3, each with a construct per group. .
Duncan offers that we can ask for the current offer plus a few constructs to help us remove the "menace" and ask if any young gnomes would like to enter service to "our royal self"
Duncan stands up, exposes his gnomish crown, and offers up a mighty speech. He totally nails his Charisma check, +2 for leading gnomes, as the gnomes rename the town Kingstown. The mayor takes off his sash, goes down on one knee, and offers up his sash to Duncan.
"OK, we'll finish the feast and hold court in the morning! Where can we sleep?"
"Somewhere with really thick walls and squeaky floors," says Nosphryc, sotto voce.
All hail King Duncan! And Queen Breena! (Wait, what? What about the bear!)
"Yay! We have a king! That's come to stay with us! Forever."
We keep expecting Ken to ask us all to roll up new characters. You didn't get a TPK, it was a TPP - Total Party Politicization. Keeping the TP in politics, as if it needed the help. "If you have an election lasting more then four hours, you should seek Clerical help!"Duncan decides to retire and become king! First time we have a mid-game character loss due to becoming royalty! He decides to make up a Eldritch Knight at 5th level.
"I want to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero." - Hoban WashburneWe each get 3,900 x.p for delivering the rescued gnomes...Duncan gains an extra 5,000 for becoming king
Nosphryc is about 1200XP shy of next level; a T-shirt appears on the screen: